Skip to main content

CHRISTMAS BOOK REVIEW: advent storybooks day 11

A quick and quiet review for you ~ perhaps it will inspire you to think more of someone else today!


Day 11 – Christmas Day in the Morning – Pearl S. Buck, illustrated by Mark Buehner

A very touching story about Rob, the oldest son of a dairy family, and the Christmas gift he gives his father … Rob is such a sleepy boy, he has trouble getting up in the morning to help his father milk the cows. On Christmas eve, Rob thinks about the sort of gift he could give his father … then he overhears his parents talking and realizes how much his father cares for him! This inspires Rob to think less about material gifts, and more about love shown through acts of kindness. The next morning, Rob wakes up early and does the milking chores for his father all alone… it’s truly a surprise neither of them will forget!

This is one of those books that really makes you *feel* Christmas. I’m such a sap, I find myself close to tears when subjects like this come up. I think in our modern interpretation of Christmas, we DO show (and in some instances expect) love through lavish gifts … we think very little of how actions represent our feelings! Let’s try not to forget that acts of love and appreciation can mean more than any other gift.    

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

More treats! + CHRISTMAS BOOK REVIEW: advent storybooks day 15, 16, 1

I've had a busy few days getting caught up on baking! With just a week left before our Christmas Eve Feast, things are speeding up!!  At the request of little bro, vanilla-mint marshmallows! (alton brown's recipe!) Fudge!    Fondant cherry chocolates 😍 Chewy molasses cookies w candied ginger!  Book reviews ahead!! 

Christmas Cookie day + CHRISTMAS BOOK REVIEW: advent storybooks day 9 + 10

Christmas baking is well under way! I wasn't joking when I said my family makes candies and cakes and cookies galore around this time of year.  (I have even forgotten to take pictures of a few! We have also made pecan shortbread tea cakes and some fudge ... YUM.)  Book reviews are here as well! Fashionably late, but we're gaining steam haha. 

CHRISTMAS BOOK REVIEW: advent storybooks day 22, 23, 24

A very merry *belated* Christmas to you! I got wrapped up in Christmastime celebrations and completely forgot I had book reviews to do! Advent ended on December 24th, so this entry will conclude my advent reviews ... and even though they're a tiny bit late, these are still enjoyable winter stories and I encourage you to seek them out. Thanks for following along on this project! I'm looking forward to sharing more reviews with you soon. Here's another wintertime treat for you! A little doodle of Reggie and Crew (characters from my upcoming graphic novel, Monster Friends ), wishing you a Merry Christmas with a happy tune!