Skip to main content

CHRISTMAS BOOK REVIEW: advent storybooks day 2

Snow has been on my mind these days. 

The last few weeks have been weirdly warm here in sunny Vermont, and it just doesn't quite feel like Christmas yet! I'm learning that I have very "essential" ideas of seasons, mostly built around the time my family spent in Alaska. (We have just recently moved to VT after living in AK for nearly 25 years! That's a long time!!) Wintertime to me has a very specific look that I find myself impatient for ... it's not necessarily a temperature thing? But more that I keep expecting the light to do certain things. It certainly gets dark early enough to make the nights feel long and cozy! But I am missing the reflective and colorful quality of snow at different times of day.




(These photos were taken near the beginning of November ... I miss a good frosty morning!) 

Here's today's question: do you have a favorite season? Tell me what you like about it! (Or what makes you cringe if you're feeling That Way.)

Today's advent storybook is also about winter and the magic of Christmastime snow.





Day 02 – The Snowman – Raymond Briggs
A wintertime classic my family surprisingly never owned! The Snowman is a wordless illustrated story that follows the midnight adventures of a boy and his snowman who magically comes to life. I’ve seen the animated version quite a few times, but I didn’t realize how closely the style matched the beautiful colored pencil illustrations! I also love the panel format … the action is very clear, and offers a window into a very magical world created by childhood imagination. My favorite panels are when the boy brings the snowman inside his house and introduces him to everyday things like light switches, paper towel rolls, and ice cubes. The book does end on a bittersweet note … but like other Christmas stories, the magic is spontaneous and ephemeral ... you get the feeling this memory will be kept close at heart for many years to come.   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

More treats! + CHRISTMAS BOOK REVIEW: advent storybooks day 15, 16, 1

I've had a busy few days getting caught up on baking! With just a week left before our Christmas Eve Feast, things are speeding up!!  At the request of little bro, vanilla-mint marshmallows! (alton brown's recipe!) Fudge!    Fondant cherry chocolates 😍 Chewy molasses cookies w candied ginger!  Book reviews ahead!! 

Christmas Cookie day + CHRISTMAS BOOK REVIEW: advent storybooks day 9 + 10

Christmas baking is well under way! I wasn't joking when I said my family makes candies and cakes and cookies galore around this time of year.  (I have even forgotten to take pictures of a few! We have also made pecan shortbread tea cakes and some fudge ... YUM.)  Book reviews are here as well! Fashionably late, but we're gaining steam haha. 

CHRISTMAS BOOK REVIEW: advent storybooks day 1

My family is celebrating advent throughout December and we’re counting down the days to Christmas with illustrated storybooks! I remember doing this many many years ago, on a particularly busy year event-wise for us … oh, the joys of juggling piano recitals, choir concerts, church events, and family traditions! It was such a soothing way to spend time together each evening, and I’m looking forward to doing it again.  We already own so many of the classics, so I chose to branch into some retold favorites, traditional tales, and new favorites. Some are secular, while some have a Christian message, but all these books have a beautiful warm feeling; I hope you’ll enjoy the books I’ll be reviewing here! I also want to ask: do you have a favorite Christmas book to enjoy during this time of year? One of my favorite non-traditional stories is Susan Cooper’s fantasy novel, The Dark is Rising ! It’s the second book in a quintet of welsh-spun Arthurian legends, and takes place over the Christ